Wednesday, May 5, 2010















ROLFING: Reestablishing the natural alignment and structural integration of the human body for vitality and well being.
Thank you Ida P. Rolf, Ph.D.

Spring is in the air today. The crab apple trees are in full bloom with bright pink blossoms. A slight breeze has the branches dancing. I find myself reflecting on the past 3.5 years. Diligently and as naturally as possible I have tried to resolve my low back pain. From kidney and liver cleanses to releasing emotional issues.

Today there was a fork in the road. I am taking a new path to realignment and balance of my body and my life. Karon, a friend and rolfer, began the 1st of 10 sessions today. This, I can tell, will lead me back to a pain free body that moves with ease and freedom.

The realization hit me when we looked at pictures of me standing in a normal relaxed position. We knew that I had some slight rotation at the hips, but it blew both of us away to see how uneven I am from the shoulders all the way down. I think we both new at the sight of the misaligned body what needed to be done.

These sessions are not relaxing in any way. Quite the contrary. Four letter expletives flow from my mouth with great intensity. I must admit, however, that after the stroke is finished there is significant release of tension and relaxation. So, relaxing? yes and no.

Awareness has new meaning. Becoming aware of how I sit, stand and walk is not going to be easy. It is really easy to fall back into the old habits of walking and sitting. It takes more work to walk the right way. You have to think about how you get yourself out of a chair. This will be a challenge I can tell. I am up to it. The outcome will be well worth the effort. I pledge to be more aware of my movements and my thoughts.

I usually have to lay back on the bed and raise my feet into the air to put my socks on. Today after the session while talking to Karon, I sat on the table and was able to put my socks on while sitting without pain. Holy heck. Why didn't I start this long time ago. Amazing.. I feel much lighter. It is hard to describe the difference you feel, but there is definitely a difference.

Walk with your chin level, feet pointed forward with a slight spring in your step. Heel to toe. Sounds simple doesn't it.? It feels totally awkward to me.

No comments: