Wednesday, April 28, 2010

SURPRISE !
Birthdays to me have always been, just another day. Little did I know turning 50 was going to have and be so much more than just another day. Apparently Amanda started working on this project a long time before the big date. And with the help of Ellis and a few others they pulled it off.


The special event took place on March 13th. Earlier in the week Kris had asked us to go to dinner with them at the Country Club on Saturday evening. She gave me the excuse that my birthday was on a Thursday and the weekend is easier. So on Saturday morning before EL left for work he pulled out dress clothes for dinner that evening. That should have been my first clue, but that piece of the puzzle would not reveal itself until later. So with Easter just around the corner I was busy making Easter gifts most of the day. This was a good thing since Amanda was running around town finalizing last minute stuff. She would have a difficult time explaining to me what she was doing in town when she had told me she was hanging with girlfriends for the day.

The weather took a turn for the worse and it started snowing by afternoon. On the way out to the club Ellis tells me that Vicki and Jim are out here having dinner with a bunch of friends. I guess he was thinking I might wonder why there are so many vehicles in the parking lot. Still I had no clue. Yep clueless. Until....I saw the Honda Element out of the corner of my eye parked over by the Pro Shop. It still didn't register until I saw the Mazda and Jeep. My mind went quickly into overdrive. The kids have all gathered for dinner. I love having all the kids together, not necessarily in my honor, but I was feeling okay with it. What I saw when I walked into the room was WOW!-friends and family. Not just the kids, but parents, siblings, aunts, cousins, long time friends and new found friends, grandkids and kids, almost all of them. I was totally surprised. I had no idea until I saw the kids cars then I still had no idea until I walked into the room and everyone yelled surprise.! I looked at all the faces looking back at me, processing who they were and how far some had traveled to be there for me. It was a wonderful feeling of warmth and gratitude. I never thought a 50th birthday could be so much fun. Amanda presented me with a scrapbook that everyone had contributed thoughts and memories of their times with me and/or about me. Many special words that brought back memories. It was a wonderful gift. I didn't want the evening to end. Thanks to everyone for a most memorable evening.

No comments: