Monday, March 23, 2009

Road Trip



Those of you who know EL know that when in the car and heading from point A to point B, it isn’t about a dining experience or bathroom breaks. It is about the distance between A and B and how fast you can get from A to B. I think it is a guy thing. (According to Tracy this would be classified as an "Ellisism"). Well okay, I may be exaggerating just a bit, but just a bit. He is good to ask if I am hungry and if I need a bathroom break I speak up.


I packed us a lunch, connected XM radio, threw our belongings into the Escalade and off we went on a road trip that would cover about 1300 miles in 3.5 days or 84 hours or 5,040 minutes.


It truly is not about what you do as much as it is about just hanging with someone you want to hang with. I am glad to have someone who likes to see the country. At times I may want to experience some of the country as opposed to just seeing it, but I would not trade the time I have with EL for anything.


Having no predetermined destination, we were at the mercy of where ever we ended up at the end of the day. Day one we made it to Bluff. Had wonderful accommodations.

We saw some beautiful landscapes. Monument Valley reflects the west as it is portrayed in so many western movies. Ones imagination can take you to the days of the wild west.


Next stop would be Cameron Arizona. This is a store, restaurant, hotel and post office just to the east of the south rim entrance into the canyon. Not bad accommodations either. I like rooms with a view.




We ventured south to Flagstaff before heading east into New Mexico. While in Arizona we took in Sunset Crater, The Petrified Forest National Park and The Painted Desert National Park. The Petrified Forest is in the desert…..No living trees, just huge petrified ones scattered around and about.


New Mexico license plates read “land of Enchantment”. I’m not so sure. Next stop was going to be Shiprock NM. However, we could find no accommodations in Shiprock so we went on to Cortez. Didn’t want to stay in Shiprock anyway.


Last day out and coming home. We chose a route through Colorado that was sure to be Colorado at its finest. And it was. Back home again. Until next time…….

2 comments:

Telisse and Kade said...

That is impressive! Amount of miles you covered and the long chats you had doing it. Glad your back safe and had a good break. Love the blogging I think its great your doing it. Your going to pass me up on posts! ha ha

Kewl Granny of Eight said...

Sounds like your trip was a bit rushed....does that man ever relax?